Saturday 20 February 2016

CV's Old and New

I thought it would interesting to take a look at my very first CV and compare it to what my CV would look like now. Admittedly it hasn't been updated in a while so this will a good opportunity to include my most recent experiences and gain a new perspective in how far I have come as a professional dancer since graduating.

Here are the main details of my very first CV...




Personal Profile

Currently studying at Elmhurst School for Dance in association with Birmingham Royal Ballet and have strong classical ballet technique with additional experience in Jazz (Mattox), Contemporary (Graham, Cunningham). Further proficient knowledge of Tap and Flamenco.

Education and Qualifications

2004-2011       Elmhurst School for Dance
                        National Diploma in Professional Dance
                        RAD Advanced 1: 77/100
                        Passed A-Level Dance and English Language and Literature
                        GCSE grades:      1 A*      6 B’s      4 C’s
                        Most Achievement (Upper School Man) 2009 (Artistic Prize)

2010    Giselle (Peasant Pas de Deux), Sir Peter Wright, ‘Reach4Dance’ Outreach
            Copp
élia (Combat), Sir Peter Wright, Elmhurst Theatre
            Swan Lake (Czardas,Pollaka), Sir Peter Wright, Virginia USA (Birmingham Royal Ballet)
            Orpheus Suite (Apollo), David Bintley, Elmhurst School Theatre
            Swan Lake (Pas de Quatre), Fredrick Ashton, Elmhurst Theatre

2009    Cyrano (Cook), David Bintley, Birmingham Hippodrome, Sadlers Wells, UK Tour (BRB)

2008    Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra, Patrick Hinson, Elmhurst Theatre
            Laurencia, Errol Pickford (after Chaboukiani), Elmhurst Theatre
            30 x 10 in 4, Robin Cousins, Elmhurst Theatre



Other dance experience includes training with Irek Mukhamedov, attending the Royal Ballet Mid-Associates, Performing with the London Children’s Ballet in Vanessa Fenton’s ‘A Little Princess’ and David Fielding’s ‘The Canterville Ghost’, Performing in Birmingham Symphony Hall and Town Hall. Also attended the Dance Forward, White Lodge, Wells and International Ballet Masterclasses Prague Summer/ Easter schools.



As I'm looking back on it now I'm noticing how much information can probably be removed. Many of you will know that when you're looking for work as a student it's very difficult to find enough things to write about yourself when at this stage in your career, you'll have little to no professional experience yet! I was very fortunate to tour with Birmingham Royal Ballet whilst studying and I feel that that is noteworthy. Listing the roles I have performed in the school theatre however, might not be deemed so important anymore!

I have now spent some time amending my CV, here is the revised and up to date version.





Personal Profile

Currently working as a ballet artist at Teater Vanemuine in Tartu, Estonia and have strong classical ballet technique with additional experience in Jazz (Mattox), Contemporary (Graham, Cunningham). Further proficient knowledge of Tap and Flamenco with experience in Irish dance and acrobatics.

Education and Qualifications

Elmhurst School for Dance (2004-2011)
National Diploma in Professional Dance
RAD Advanced 1: 77/100
A-Level Dance and English Language and Literature
GCSE grades:      1 A*      6 B’s      4 C’s
Most Achievement (Upper School Man) 2009 and 2011 (Artistic Prize)
Benesh Movement Notation: Score reading for Dancers (Passed with Honours)

Pre-Graduation experience

Toured with Birmingham Royal Ballet:

·         Cyrano, David Bintley, UK Tour (2009)
·         Swan Lake, Sir Peter Wright, Virginia USA Tour (2010)
·         Slaughter on 10th Avenue, George Balanchine, UK Tour (2011)
·         The Sleeping Beauty, Sir Peter Wright, Japan Tour (2011)

Selected to dance in Robin Cousins’ 30 x 10 in 4 (2008)
Peasant Pas de Deux, Giselle, Sir Peter Wright, ‘Reach4Dance’ outreach programme (2010)

Professional Experience
Ballet:

·         Petter (Pähklipureja/Nutcracker) Pär Isberg
·         Lead Peasant couple (Onegin) Vasily Medvedev
·         Bluebird Pas de Deux (Uinuv Kaunitar/Sleeping Beauty) Pär Isberg
·         Japanese Pas de Duex (Casanova) David Sonnenbluck
·         Paparazzi, Drunk Solo (La Dolce Vita) Georgio Mada
·         Pas de Cinque, Lead Saracen (Raimonda) Jelena Pankova

Musicals and other:


·         Evita (Georg Malvius)
·         Mary Poppins (Georg Malvius)
·         Cabaret (Roman Hovenbitzer)
·         GO- Mäng Kahele (Teet Kask)
·         Thriller (Cedric Lee Bradley)    
           Straight Up Rhythm (Matthew Jordan)

  

     One thing I remembered was that my first CV had been written at the beginning of my last school year on the basis that I would be spending that year auditioning. As a result there were some details missing that would have appeared later on in the year for me. It's been much more satisfying though being able to list roles and performances I have done professionally as it feels like these roles mentioned carry much more weight than just stating what you learnt at school. I feel that a potential employer would value professional experience the most and I view the last section of my current CV as the most important.

      It's been interesting being able to compare the two CV's and I like the fact that I feel more legitimate as a dancer being able to see a list of achievements I have made since leaving school and performing out in the professional world. 

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating. As you know, following your progress from student to professional dancer has been a great adventure for us as parents. It's good to be able to track your development and see how far you've come in that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben,
    After reading your comment on Lawrence's blog and then visiting this post, I see that you already have a qualification in Benesh movement notation and that you passed with HONOURS!! Well done you! :) Did you do it with the RAD on their long distance course? I am quite interested in studying Benesh notation as I have always loved learning choreography. At college I was my teacher's assistant choreographer quite often. However his Bible, as he called his choreography books, were written in his own vocabulary and I couldn't help feeling that if it was written in Benesh, and I understood Benesh, then it would take up a lot less space and would be much easier for me, a person that is not the choreographer, to understand and interpret. He also used a video but again that can sometimes lead to confusion as while you are watching it, you have to simultaneously reverse it! Plus, it takes up a lot of rehearsal time re-winding and fast-forwarding to find what you are teaching. With DVD that is now much faster. :)
    I think dance notation would be a useful thing to be taught at vocational collages because, in my experience, every choreographer I have worked with has had written references, as well as visual, to aid them in teaching choreography. If we were taught dance notation at college then we would all be able to read the same choreographically notes. As a dance captain, away from the choreographers, it would also be much easier to check choreography for cleaning rehearsals.
    About CVs, I love the way your new CV is set out. The pre-graduation experience sub heading is something I could incorporate into my own CV. I noticed that you don't have any dates on your new CV except the time that you spent at Elmhurst and touring with BRB. I would be interested in knowing when you started working for Teater Vanemuine and when you did the performances of the Musicals and others?
    Nora :)

    ReplyDelete