Sunday 6 March 2016

A Private Journal?

As I'm browsing over the tasks for Part 2 of my course I see that the first task requires me to start a private journal. The idea is not to share it publicly but to keep a record of my thoughts of the tasks and my own professional experience in order to exercise my reflective skills. It feels strange to work on something that isn't initially for presentation however we are encouraged to use excerpts towards later modules.

For a start I'm interested to see if this affects my writing style in any way. I find that I can have many thoughts swirling around my mind. When it's a requirement to write them out it can often be a struggle to organise them in a well rounded, orderly fashion. Already as I've been writing this paragraph I have stopped multiple times to re-write and find a draft that I am satisfied with before continuing. Many people I know, upon discussing writing techniques have told me that they will simply write everything as it comes out, then go back to review their writing and re-adjust accordingly. I find that very difficult to do. Perhaps I just want to have everything 'perfect' too quickly and my impatience blocks my writing flow, or maybe it's just my method of writing and I'll have to accept that that's how I work.

In my blog post about Technology's effect on the dance world, I found that having a quick brainstorm of my ideas before writing served as a very good method of finding a framework for my post. Hopefully keeping that in mind will serve me well for any future writing of mine. Over time I'll be interested to see if my approach to writing and organising my thoughts changes. I think the journal will act as a good excercise for both my writing and evaluation skills.

Just like blogging, the idea of a journal feels very new to me but I'm excited to see what will come of it and see how it will affect my learning experience as I make the transition from 'traditional' classroom learning to the BAPP course that I am on now.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Ben Taz and I were talking about the blog conversations going on now - and she is hoping to write up here recent experience designing some choreography. The blogging and the journal are both important ways to reflect and communicate ideas. The journal collects experiences and observations in a private space, and the blog is the 'digital scholar' forum. Good style of writing here for the course... I like how you are connecting your this post with earlier posts.

    ReplyDelete