Monday 18 April 2016

Current Networks

Networking is a very important aspect of professional practice and dance is no exception. It takes different forms that also tie in to each other. I will look at Virtual, Actual, Professional and Academic Networks. I'll give a brief description of what I believe these to be.

Virtual

Virtual Networking is connecting with others online. With the ease of access and ability to share information on Web 2.0, this is a great method of making contact with people from far distances or in situations where you wouldn't ordinarily come into contact.

Actual

Actual Networking is networking via direct contact with the person in question. During the course of people's careers and lives in general, one will meet and come across many people that they may stay in contact with.

Professional

Professional Networking is the links and connections you make through your career. Relating very closely to Actual Networking, you'll find that the vast majority of Professional contacts will be via old or current colleagues. Depending on the situation and profession, Virtual Networking can play a significant role in Professional Networking also.

Academic

Academic Networking is the relationships and contact you keep with past tutors and course mates, potentially drawing upon the networks of these people for your own benefit.


Naturally the majority of the networking I have done so far has been 'actual'. From studying with different teachers and meeting many people along the way, either at school or summer courses etc. I have built a respectable network without having consciously thought about it. The area in which I have made a concerted effort to network has been virtually. I mentioned in my post about technology's effect on the dance world a particular tool that I use. A website aptly titled 'Network Dance'. I have harnessed the ability to share my professional information in the hopes of making connections with others, in this instance mainly choreographers or directors.

The reason why networking is deemed to be so important is that it can provide you access to opportunities and further networking that you may not have managed to obtain on your own. One example I can think of is when in my graduate year, I was in the process of searching for a job. One day I bumped into a friend at an open dance class, he informed me of an audition taking place the very next day for the company he was a part of. As I was previously unaware of the audition I hadn't sent any information about myself but he was able to have a word with the director and I was able to attend despite the short notice. Had I not known this individual, I wouldn't have had that opportunity.

As well as my network's benefit towards me, who I am as a professional can affect the networks others try to create. As important as it is to know people, it's arguably equally as important to be wanted to be known by others. What good is a professional contact who wouldn't wish to work with you? This leads me on to the idea of reputation. The way that one behaves in their work and their professional attitude has a lasting effect. A desirable trait of a dancer is to be reliable, whether that means being a fast learner, a consistent dancer, or simply just not getting injured regularly. If a director is looking for dancers and they draw upon a contact of their own to provide information on a potential employee, that employee will hope that he has a good reputation and others will praise their work and attitude.

As significant as it is, I think the importance of networking can vary depending the context of a dancers work. For a freelance performer, networking is crucial as hopping from contract to contract isn't the most stable way of making a living. Rotating jobs more regularly will mean that you're often on the search for new work and having a greater range of contacts is hugely beneficial. This also plays into my thoughts of reputation as your standing within your profession will be called upon more often. For a dancer hired full time by a theatre, their concerns may be less placed on networking. That type of employment is much more stable and the more immediate focus would be on your position within that company. Networking will still be valuable for the audition process but someone in a company may find themselves calling upon their contacts less frequently if at all!

Overall I feel that networking is an integral part of professional practice. Whether it be of more or less importance depending on your specific career style, it will always be worth having the strongest network you can manage. That goes for reputation as well. All types of networking are just as important as the other and if anything a good balance of contacts will provide the most benefit.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ben,
    I also found it helpful to split my networks into categories however I went for much more basic, a 'personal' and 'professional' section. I was having some difficultly as many of the people in my groups overlapped in different circumstances. I have found your 4 groups extremely helpful in being able to understand my own networks. Have you ever found that people can develop into different categories as you get to know them and as you change your relationship with them? I'm also interested to know if you feel you would address these different groups in different manners, for example the language and format in which you speak to each group?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Skye,

      that's an interesting thought actually about developing across categories. In an effort to try and view each type clearly I didn't acknowledge the fact that being identified as one category doesn't confine you to only be that. The first example I can think of is meeting a 'virtual' contact in person, thus rendering them an 'actual' one. It sounds painfully obvious now I think about it! Perhaps I'm also being too unspecific :D I have many friends who would have began as 'academic' but through continued contact and vocational advancement are now 'professional' contacts.

      The terms of how I address people can be affected by which category they fall under, however I don't think the difference is limited to just this. With virtual contacts I can imagine that I would behave much more formally. My boss however is someone much more immediate to me but due to their ranking within my workplace I still behave in a more formal fashion. My fellow company members as you can imagine, I'm a lot more informal with them despite them and my boss being 'professional' and 'actual' contacts.

      Thanks for the thoughts :)

      Delete
  2. Really liked the structure of your post. It was much easier to digest information than I'm sure my own post on this topic was. Very concise with still a personal touch.

    I agree entirely about the differences between freelance dancers and a full time dancer hired by one company. I believe that my own networking would be different if I were more of a freelance dancer.

    Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete