Wednesday 20 April 2016

Sources of Information

In this post I aim to explore the methods I use to gather and organise information relating to my professional practice. I have many tools that can assist me in differing fashions with some that I am heavily reliant on to perform day to day tasks.

Mobile Phone

As a tool, I consider my phone the most practical source I have. With the ability to have it on my person at most times it is the most direct method of contact for me. A good example of its use is if there has been a last minute change in scheduling and I'm not in the immediate area of which the information has been shared. A colleague can call and inform me of any developments pretty much instantly. As a device with the purpose of communication it can be put to effective use in my networking. I can easily share my phone number with a new contact building new bridges for my professional and even social network.

E-mail

I view e-mailing of the same ilk as my phone. The key difference being that despite my phone's practicality, I am limited with the volume and depth of information that can be sent. I consider my ability to send e-mails a much more thorough form of sharing information. I am able to write out my thoughts or message with the ability to review it, I am able to attach documents and extra information, all in a context that allows for easy documentation. I can share information in a phone call but unless my words are being written down or the message is being recorded, the only useful information is what is remembered by the other person.

Social Media/Web 2.0

For my professional work, Web 2.0 (especially social media) is a manner of sharing information with the specific intent of networking. It is a means to share information with hope of achieving the widest reach. This differs to my phone and e-mail as I can implement social media to act as an advertisement for myself. The other two have a much more personal touch and are used when you wish to share information among a specific contact. A good example is a website I have previously mentioned, 'networkdance.com'. It gives me the ability to upload information of my professional work and experience and provides a place for potential employers to seek employees.

DVD/CD's

My use of DVD's and CD's within my profession has had little to no part in my networking. I use them as a tool to absorb information. My most common practice is learning or cross checking repetoire through a DVD. The ability to watch and learn choreography from a video can take the weight off a repetiteur. With the compact format of a disc it is very easy to transport information and gives a dancer the ability to go over choreography in their spare time. This proved to be invaluable to me of late as I had a performance this very day in which the use of a DVD helped me perform a new role with short notice. A few days ago two company members cast in the same role went down with serious injuries (unrelated). As there wasn't a third cast, I was called upon to fill that place. I had rehearsals in the studio but was able to take a DVD home and cement the information in my head ready for the show.

Word of Mouth

My final source of information doesn't require technology but can still assist me in many ways regarding my professional practice. Two uses spring to mind when reflecting on my application of verbal communication within my work.

The first instance is simply direct information. A Phone can be useful extending the range on information shared through speech but being in an immediate situation is the most direct form of communication. For my work, being given corrections in class, directions on stage and feedback make my working days productive and effective.

The second thing I think of is something I've touched upon previously. Reputation. It is something I can have control over based on my professional behavior but is mainly an aspect of information sharing that provides an effect. If I have a reputation of being a hard worker, that will affect how my peers view me and ultimately how I am treated within my working environment. This can also have a knock-on effect regarding a network as people will talk and an overall impression will be created, potentially reaching beyond that network.

1 comment:

  1. It was interesting to read this post and compare it to my own. We work in the same environment and I think becomes even more evident when reading both my own post and yours on this topic as they are almost identical.

    I found it interesting that you viewed email as whole source of its own. I found it interesting to read you sentence; "unless my words are being written down or the message is being recorded, the only useful information is what is remembered by the other person." It is all very well giving and receiving information but maintaining it and applying does come down to memory of said information. Having read this, I have learnt that applying memory into networking information is very important something I hadn't fully comprehended until seeing it physically written down in your post.

    Very helpful and insightful.

    ReplyDelete