Wednesday 6 April 2016

How does my learning experience compare to theories on reflective practice?

Now that I have reviewed and experimented with my approach towards my journal and reflective writing, I will use what I have learned to compare my findings with the theories and thoughts of some select philosophers. I'll be looking at examples of great thinkers who pioneered reflective practice and the approach to learning, namely John Dewey, David Kolb, and Donald Schön. Before I look at my own experiences I shall give a brief introduction into the theories and findings of these three men.

Dewey

John Dewey was a key part in progressive education, which is the view that learning comes from doing. As a pragmatist he believed that we learn from taking a 'Hands on' approach and that reality must be experienced. In doing so, interaction with environment provides education through direct experience.

Kolb

David Kolb was highly influenced by Dewey and had the same beliefs in that learning is experiential. 

"Learning is the process whereby knowledge is created through the transformation of experience." (Kolb, 1984, p.38 'Learning styles model')

Kolb developed a reflective model based on the earlier research of Dewey that pays particular attention to how information is transformed into knowledge. The 'Experiential Learning Cycle' is a four stage cycle that represents each element of the learning process. Here is an example...




These four stages put forward the idea that progress and learning comes from a series of practices. This idea also works on the level that everyone naturally leans toward their own learning style and each stage is representative of a method of learning.

e.g.
Concrete experience = Feeling
Reflective observation = Watching
Abstract conceptualisation = Thinking
Active experimentation =Doing

He did however believe that no two learning methods could coexist if they were on opposite sides of the cycle together e.g. it's not possible to 'Think' and 'Feel' at the same time nor 'Watch' and 'Do'. consequently our learning styles are a result of the combination of any two methods in series. Here is another visualisation...


Schön

Donald Schön derived the notions of 'Reflection on action' and 'Reflection in action'. His ideas focused much more on the theme of approaches towards correction. Reflection on action is the idea that one will analyse and explore the reasons and consequences surrounding an action after experiencing it, where as Reflection in action is attending to the situation in the moment using past experience to solve a problem. Schön believed that the ability to reflect upon action was a defining characteristic of professional practice.


My Experience

As a professional dancer, my experiences certainly relate to Dewey's vision of learning as my whole career has revolved around being physical. It's the opportunity of continued practice that helps me progress as a dancer and it's reflection that keeps me on course as I look at what I wish to improve upon myself and using the ability to identify my strengths. I agree with Schön and his opinion that reflection is a major feature of professional practice. Dance is my vocation and I have spent many years honing my skills in order to pursue it. None of that would be possible if it wasn't for my self-evaluation and introspection. You can throw as much information as you want at someone but it isn't until that 'Hands on' experience, you truly learn how to become an adept practitioner.

I would argue that Kolb's cycle fits certain situations but can't be applied to all learning experiences. I feel it's very fitting towards thoughtful practice and relates to how the brain experiences learning but I feel that learning through 'muscle memory' behaves in a very different fashion. If approaching a situation where there is a dance step I'm struggling with then I feel this model is very accurate in representing my approach to correcting myself. Other situations in which one is already aware of what needs to be achieved, but simple repetitive practice is required doesn't seem to fit the model as I feel there is no reflection or experimentation involved. I have had many rehearsals in which I have learnt some new and challenging choreography, I'll come in the next day and without having necessarily thought about it in between the time, I'll find that I get to grips with the movements the second time around, as if it's more 'in my body'. Practicing guitar scales I feel is another good example, by simple repetition you 'learn' to be better. You could argue however that what I speak of isn't learning per say but merely conditioning.

Kolb isn't without his critics though. This is an extract from Steve Wheeler's blog (June 20th 2012) on "Recycling Kolb"

"A major criticism of Kolb's experiential learning cycle is that any or all of the four phases he identifies could occur simultaneously (Jeffs and Smith, 1999). Another is that the model does not sufficiently acknowledge the power of reflection on learning (Boud et al, 1985). Probably the most important criticism of the cycle is that depending on the learner, and/or the activities they are engaged in, some stages of the process can be bypassed, or repeated several times in any sequence."


 I can certainly relate to the theories and ideas that have been put forward. I do recognise many features of these within my working experience. I would say though that I wouldn't pin down learning as a whole into such simplified models but I feel they do represent certain elements with great accuracy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment